I want to find out if my child has ADHD. Where do I start?

Educational Psychologist

Difficulties in one area often spill over into other areas and could affect behaviour, learning abilities and emotional condition. For example, situations such as death, divorce, illness, stress, learning difficulties, being bullied, lifestyle, can affect children’s ability to cope in many areas of their life. As a result they may be misdiagnosed as having ADHD

Educational psychologists are able to identify learning difficulties and/or other factors that may be affecting children, and help them work through the challenge. Psychologists are able to build children’s social and emotional skills so that they are able to cope better in many areas – whether the child has ADHD or not. They do not prescribe medication.

Depending upon children’s needs psychologists may refer them to a medical doctor and/or indicate other therapies could be helpful.

Medical Doctors

If there is a diagnosis of ADHD medication may be prescribed. Be sure to approach one who specialises in ADHD.

Paediatricians, psychiatrists and neurologists

Teachers are becoming increasingly educated about medication and most commonly refer children to a paediatrician.
Paediatricians, psychiatrists and neurologists are all medical doctors who treat ADHD however they may do so from different points of view. Paediatricians may have greater insight into the development of the child while psychiatrists study the functioning of the brain. Neurologists use an EEG which also helps rule out other conditions such as petit mal epilepsy.